Sunday, July 24, 2011

The technology-learning connection

What does all of this suggest for your classroom (or school)? Where do you start now...with the resources you have?

I now have a better understanding of how technology has changed how students learn, and as a result I am more aware that teachers need to keep up with the changes and adjust both how and what we teach.  So, what does this mean for my third grade classroom at Limestone Community School?  What can I do with the limited resources that I have?  Well, I have been thinking a lot about these questions and I’m still trying to figure out how I can use the one computer that I have in the room for student use, but I have come up with a few ideas that I can do to incorporate more technology into my classroom.  The first thing I can do is to start investigating websites that offer virtual field trips.  Since the area where I teach is made up of mostly low-income families my students don’t have a lot of opportunities to go to places outside the local area.  So, I think that by doing virtual field trips I can really widen their understanding of the world and enhance my curriculum in Social Studies and Science.  I would like to do things such as broaden their awareness of other cultures around the world, show them some historical sites, take them to museums, visit space centers, and check out some labs.  In connection with these virtual field trips I would also use the LCD projector or Smart Board so that the whole class can share the experience at the same time.  We do have at least one of each of those items in our school, and I need to start signing up for them and using them in my classroom.  Another tool that I will start using is the digital camera.  I can take pictures of the students when they are doing science experiments, projects, Readers’ Theater, etc.  I’m also thinking about using something like moodIe, googledocs, or a class website to showcase student work to their parents.  I think that using the digital camera will give them ownership of their work, making their work available to the public will encourage them to put forth more effort because someone will see their work.  Again, it would take some effort on my part to sign up for the camera, but I think it would be worth it.  I’m also going to try to connect/communicate with the parents in an electronic forum as well because many of them are younger than I am and they are probably quite comfortable using technology to communicate with others.  There aren’t a lot of technology resources at my school, but I think that if I can begin to use the ones that are available I will at least be heading in the right direction to prepare my students for the future.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    I know you have put a lot of thought into your technology situation. I realize that you only have one computer in your classroom, yet you've thought of different ways to make use of technology that is available to you. With careful planning you can make use the use of an LCD projector and the Smart Board to bring your students on virtual field trips. Using the digital camera is another good way for students to take more ownership in their work and making their work public. I like your idea of an electric forum as a way to connect/communicate with parents. Doing these things will certainly get you going in the right direction. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete