The What If and Did You Know videos really illustrated the impact that technology has had on education and the world in general. I especially like how the What If video shows how different tools have been received by educators over time. It’s really hard for me to imagine people being reluctant to use ink pens in school, but I’m sure there really was some resistance when they were first introduced in society. I grew up in the pre-computer days, but I can remember the excitement in our family when we got a VCR and we could rent movies to watch at home. It was also cool and interesting to be able to watch videos at school rather than just reading from a book or listening to the teacher lecture. We could actually SEE and HEAR a performance of Romeo & Juliet! It really was a big deal back then, much the same way that having computers in the classroom is today. It’s hard for me to fully understand the impact that technology has had and will continue to have on education.
Until recently I thought I was using technology when I used the overhead projector or the VCR (which I STILL have in my classroom). These videos have helped me to see that I was sadly mistaken. It’s not that I am resistant to use technology- it’s that I didn’t know what was out there for me to use. Also, I had no idea what to do with any of it and I think that’s the case of many teachers who are older than 30 years old. We just don’t know what’s available and how to use it. So, what if we had exposure to technology tools and training on how to use them? Maybe we wouldn’t be so reluctant to change…
Finally, my thoughts on the Sir Ken Robinson video. Well, I thought he was entertaining. He did raise a good point about the arts being neglected in schools. However, he failed to mention the main reasons WHY they are not being taught. Money and accountability. So many schools are losing funding from the state and federal government that they have to make budget cuts somewhere. Since students are being tested in the core subjects (especially literacy and math) and schools are being held accountable for their performance, those subjects are certainly NOT going to be cut. Unfortunately that leaves the arts. It’s sad, but unfortunately it’s all too often becoming the reality.
No comments:
Post a Comment